Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Marathon Lessons . . . Training

I'm still amazed that the race has come and gone. (The pic to the right is just before the start . . . and NO I'm not in the front)

The process and the race itself was an incredible experience that left me with many great lessons. I want to share some of these in a few posts. Here's the first:

There's no Substitute for Training -
Peter said: "Prepare your minds for action . . ." (1 Peter 1:13)

When I first began my training the 3 & 4 mile runs were a grind. (A stinking grind!) Then as the distance was gradually lengthened and my body was pushed into shape, they became less of a grind.

Now, I can run 4-5 miles and it's not a big deal for my body or mentally. I can stay focused on other things - my sermon, a challenge I'm struggling with, my family.

BUT, once I hit 8 or 9 miles different pains start to surface - my knees, my hips, my breathing.
And without that training - that training of my mind as I train my body - I begin to focus on those problems. And then as I start focusing on my problems, I want to quit. I start thinking, 'This is stupid. This isn't worth it.' 'Why am I doing this?' And it becomes easy to give up.

But as I trained and pushed through the pain, I learned that I had to focus on what was ahead, on the race and not the pain.

So, true in our spiritual lives. If we don't train daily in God's Word. If we don't train daily by seeking to abide in Jesus. Then when the pain comes - and it will - we will be easily seduced into quitting.

Too many people treat God like a magic genie and just call on Him when the pain comes - like not training and just jumping in the marathon.
And then their disappointed when the pain doesn't go away.
God doesn't always take the pain away.

But when we abide (train) in Him, He teaches us that He is always with us. He teaches us how to focus on Him. He teaches us how to run through it. He prepares our mind for action.

[This is a pic Cindy snapped as I ran by at about 6 miles . . . notice that I'm going so fast that I'm kind of a blur! I'm pretty sure that the airspeed that I was generating even blinded that guy behind me!]

1 comment:

Julie said...

It is more than encouraging to observe any faith training in action. Thank you for sharing your journey. Praise alone to Him for your finish! Congrats from someone who has no understanding of running, unless someone is chasing me.