Thursday, February 21, 2008

Marathon Lessons . . . Be Encouraged!

You Never Know How Your Encouragement Helps Someone Take One More Step!

One of the really cool things about the marathon was the thousands of people on the sides cheering us the entire time - amazing! I don't think we ever went 100 yards without spectators yelling for us. (This pic not of me, just to see the crowds.)

People were yelling, 'Way to go!' 'You're doing awesome!' Near the end folks were yelling stuff like: 'Only 2 more miles, don't give up! Finish strong!'

Our names were on our bibs and some people would even yell our names. At one point some lady yells: 'Way to go John! I'm so proud of you, keep going hard!'

And then to pass my family on the side cheering and yelling for me was incredible. (Here I am passing my family and getting 'fives.')

And then some people just made you smile. One dad and three small kids each had a sign and as they stood together they said: 'Way To Go Mom!'

But the best was a lady who I saw up ahead of us at about the 11 mile mark whose sign said: 'You're Crazy!' My cousin and I were chuckling (I couldn't actually laugh at 11 miles!) And then as we got closer, it was Cindy's sister!! I was laughing then and her sign was so great that this picture was in Austin American Statesman on Monday morning!

I can't tell you how encouraging all those people were. I wonder how many people are able to run one more step because of that encouragement . . . go one more mile because they heard from people who believed in them.

It just reminded me of people all around me who need to be encouraged. Who need to be cheered on and told that they can do it! To be strong and courageous! That I am proud of them! I confess that I'm not very good at this. But I'm asking God to help me.

We are in a race. A marathon. It's hard. It's long. It's painful. But if we encourage each other we can go one more step. One more mile. One more day. And maybe even smile :)

No comments: