Monday, February 4, 2008

Daniel Fast

On Sunday I encouraged you to join me on a 6-week+ Daniel Fast, beginning this Wednesday and ending on Easter.

The idea of a Daniel fast comes from the Old Testament book of Daniel chapter 1 - where Daniel, a Jew who was deported to Babylon and chosen for the King's Palace Program, resolved not to defile himself by eating the Palace's royal food and wine. Instead Daniel chose to eat only vegetables and drink only water. (I encourage you to read the passage.)

The physical (& spiritual) principle that we are seeking to follow here is to seek to put things into our body (& life) that most reflect the vision for our life that honors God. Daniel was making a statement with his 'fast' that he was going to follow God.

There are all kinds of different fasts (the Bible does not say that you have to do a fast 'this' way or 'that' way . . . and a 'Daniel Fast' can take many different applications as well . . . some people hold to just vegetables and water).

What I'm asking you to do is join me in fasting from something(s) that you are doing to your body that is unhealthy. Maybe it's from sodas, or fast food, or tobacco, or junk food, or etc, or all of the above!

The purpose is two fold: 1) To move towards God's vision for our physical health. For many this is first step of making the statement that you want to honor God with your health.
2) As we have the desire for that thing(s) - to allow it to remind us to pray for God's vision for every area of our life. A fast is ultimately about helping us focus on and pursue God. And in these days I am asking that together we pursue God's heart for our lives. That we repent where we are not following Him and ask Him to show us how to seek Him in the different areas we have been talking about.


So, I ask you to be praying between now and Wednesday, and then share with me (& us) what God is telling you. What are you fasting from?

What questions or thoughts do you have?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nathan and I are fasting from fast food.

J.Rod said...

wow! Day 1 and I am not feeling so good. I am doing a Fruits & Veggies & Water fast.