Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Daniel Fast Dilemma - Part II

Thanks for all your great comments, suggestions and confessions to my Daniel Fast Dilemma post! All of them touched on my struggle.

As I've thought about it, here's what I believe Jesus would tell me about the pizza.

'John, you're focusing on the wrong thing. I'm more concerned about what goes into your soul, then what goes into your mouth.' Ouch.

Jesus was continually chiding the 'religious people' for cleaning the outside of the cup while the inside was filthy. And the point of our Daniel Fast is to focus on Jesus and his vision for our lives. Just the conversation about the pizza at my house brought attention to why we were doing it. . . . And from God's perspective, that was probably the point.

Yes, when we're fasting it kind of defeats the point if there are not some things that we give up. But there are always going to be 'grey' areas. And I think that grey areas are good, because they force us to listen for the Spirit's guidance and then be willing (or not) to follow Jesus as He speaks and live in His blessing.

May HE increase in your life!

And oh yeah, I ate the pizza!

No comments: