Friday, February 29, 2008

Learning . . . Slowly

I've been asking God to help make me more of an encourager, to help me lead from a perspective of serving and building up. I struggle.

And it's always exciting (but not always fun!) to see how God answers us.

Yesterday we had our first baseball practice. Every year for the past 50 years or so I've been the HEAD Coach of Luke's team. Because of circumstances with kids, etc - myself and another coach decided to merge our teams. He had more kids, so in effect we joined his team. He's the head coach.

I've NEVER been an assistant coach in baseball. Did I mention that I've ALWAYS been the HEAD coach.

I'm used to running practice the way I want to. Giving the speeches. Making the decisions. I watched yesterday as he ran practice and I helped.

As we were going to practice I was thinking of the very best assistants I've had. They were servants and encouragers. They did the dirty work and did it with grace and pleasure. That's what I want to be. So . . . God's giving me a chance.

Yesterday I did my best to keep my mouth shut . . . and shag balls and gather equipment . . . and encourage the boys and Shane (he's the head coach and a GREAT guy which makes it so much easier).

Actually, to be honest, I excited! I'm already looking at the whole opportunity differently, and I'm going to learn awesome new things this Spring!

I'm praying that God will make me a servant.

No comments: