Saturday, January 24, 2009

Whose Are You?

"O God, you are my God;
I earnestly search for you.
My soul thirsts for you;
my whole body longs for you
in this parched and weary land
where there is no water.

I have seen you in your sanctuary
and gazed upon your power and glory.
Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself;
how I praise you!
I will honor you as long as I live,
lifting up my hands to you in prayer." (Psalm 63:1-4)

This whole 60/60 experiment is about stopping the habit of ignoring God and re-centering ourselves - as the psalmist is seeking to do - on God's glory and power! We don't have it! We desperately need Him!

Some need to be graciously guided into that place . . . and some of us need to be ripped from our apathy towards God.

I read yesterday part of a speech by John Wesley - it was a speech given at a college (Oxford University - and written and delivered in the 1800's). Listen to what Wesley is saying and the heart of his question at the end . . .

How few of you spend, from one week to another, a single hour in private prayer! How few have any thought of God in the general tenor of your conversation! Who of you is, in any degree, acquainted with the work of His Spirit, his supernatural work in the souls of men? Can you bear, unless now and then, in a church, any talk of the Holy Ghost? Would you not take it for granted, if one began such a conversation, that it was either hypocrisy or enthusiasm? In the name of the Almighty, I ask, What religion are you of?

No comments: