Monday, January 19, 2009

I Don't Get It

OK, I'm all for inaugurations. I know that it's an important time. And I'm excited about some of the things that Obama has already done. And call me a fuddy duddy or a tight wad or whatever - but $150+ million for inauguration events? Yep, that's the estimate that will be spent for all the inauguration events! (Google it . . . in comparison $42.3 million was spent on the 2005 inauguration - which is still a lot of stinkin' money!)

I'm hearing a lot of talk out of the inauguration circuit about change, and about serving others, and giving ourselves away . . . . . $150 stinkin' million?!?! Couldn't that feed a lot of hungry people? Couldn't that help some folks without health insurance or a job?

Again, don't get me wrong, this IS historic and I'm all for celebrating it, so hey let's take a mil and have a really nice party (you can pay for a LOT of folks at Gattitown with a mil!) and then give $149 mil to folks who need it.

Am I off base here?? What do you think??

6 comments:

Nathan Lindell said...

I tend to agree with you. And I've even heard that some of the festivities will be "scaled back" due to the economy!

Tray said...

Funny thing about it...they are making a huge deal about all the concerts and black-tie galas and events. I have reconnected with an old friend in Austin who is a road manager for the Beach Boys. He said they were asked to perform for free at one such event....I am assuming that this is the norm...and that most of the performers are doing at no cost.....
So yeah...where is all the money going? And two...you are right, as a 'social justice' candidate....it would seem that it might be scaled back, especially in light of the current economic tightening and hardships.
But Gattitown....you ARE a redneck!

Jade said...

Nathan and I were talking about that last night. Nathan heard the numbers 350 million. We were just amazed that this kind of cash was going into one big party when there are starving, homeless, dying people in our country that could be benefited from that expense.

And another thing that was pretty scary for us was how many people were idolizing our new President to be. We believe in serving our nation and our President. But we will not let him become an idol with his talk of "change". Have you seen those celebrity commercials where they promise to honor HIM?
It's the wrong "him" in my opinion.

I do relish the historical significance of today. It's the history lover in me, but I do not appreciate the glory being taken away from our God who is still in control. I do not approve of idolizing our president elect. He is a man that God created for purpose and I pray that he will lead our country according the to will of God.

And that gattitown reference was nice. Although I'm sure some of that big expense is going to the nice people with the guns that are there to protect and serve.

Are you guys having an inauguration party we can crash? hahaha

Mommy of 2 and 2 said...

Amen!!! Why coudln't they have used that money to "save our eceonomy"?? Live up to what you talk about!!!! Thank goodness our Gos is mighty and that HE is in control!!!!

Pam Teel said...

Thanks for the courage to say so! I wonder who we will be asked to bail out for the cost of this party?

Regardless, he is now our president, and we will be praying for him.

Greg Richmond said...

I personally think you are off base if you are choosing to point out the small overspending of the inaguration rather than the huge overspending of congress and the last administration. I am all about smaller government, but at least 2 million people got to take part and enjoy an exciting time for our country. I am pretty sure those same 2 million attendees didn't see much of the 900 gazillion dollars our government spent recently. Being a former government employee for 12 years, trust me when I say, we have bigger fish to fry than a 175 dollar per person party. Love you Guys! Jesus Reigns!