Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday in Chiangmai

It's been a whirlwind since I left VN . . .

One quick night in Bangkok without much sleep and then a short day yesterday in Chiangmai after arriving here early in the afternoon.

A much different culture in Thailand, they have definitely fully drunk the western kool aid. I am staying in the downtown area of Chiangmai and it is touristy and very racy.

Also a different spiritual culture since it is an open culture to all religions, although very Buddhist . . .

This morning I preached at the House of Blessing -- it is an orphanage and small church. They are doing awesome things with children there. One of my contacts here is Auom who works at the orphanage (his father-in-law is also the headmaster/pastor of the orphanage).
And for you weak at heart we went over 2 hours this morning (they told me I and an hour to preach although I only took 50 minutes) and it's about the same heat/humidity as Corpus and there is NO AC!

The first picture is a shot of some of them as we worshipped this morning. The next pic is of all the kids at the orphanage (Pastor Rachem is next to me) . . . They wanted to take a pic with me before I left :)

We spent much of the rest of the afternoon, talking and eating all kinds of incredible fruits, Wow!
This last pic is a couple of them . . . The bluish one is man-coot, my favorite (and that's a peeled one on the far right); and the furry one is rambutan - also awesom . . . We also had mango, lychee, passion fruit, and durian (a smelly fruit) today . . . they're everywhere.
Tomorrow, I'm hoping to discover more about Thai culture and spirituality -- hopefully going to spend some time talking to a buddhist monk . . .
Pray for open ears and eyes . . .

3 comments:

John Richerson said...

Wow . . . . mancoot, Lisa and I are so missing thailand. Mancoot is our favorite. The kids at House of Blessing look great!!!! So do Cat and Aoum. Did you get a chance to contact Khun Pon?

Greg Richmond said...

I forgot about the stinky fruit - we used to make our new co-pilots eat it on a dare - some of them could gag a magot! You have been in our prayers and thoughts so much! Your Kingdom Come!!!!

Susan Klaus said...

I forgot what that deep red/puple fruit with the white section fruit is called, but that thing is my favorite fruit in the whole world that I've tasted so far. I seriously had withdraws from that fruit after we left Thailand. I still think about that fruit!