Sunday, May 17, 2009

In Sapa

Had a great all-night train ride last night - felt like I was on the Oriental Express . . . This first pic shows our cabin where us four guys on the team slept - pretty tight quarters. But I slept awesome with the rocking of the train all night . . . and I was told that it was probably good that it was dark and we couldn't watch the bridges and narrow passages that the train navigates through the mountains.

We arrived in Lao Cai at 5:30am and then took an hour bus ride to Sapa - this is where we are staying for the rest of the week. Very small town in the mountains.


The ethnic majority is the Hmong people (they originated and migrated from China) . . . they cater to the tourists in this village but are rural, poor. This is a Hmong man driving his water buffalo through the streets.

Later in the day we saw some of the beautiful countryside - this last pic shows some of the terraced farming on a mountainside - if you click on it and enlarge it you can see the people (probably a family) working the terraces.


I think I'm pretty caught up on sleep and ready to roll -- tomorrow morning we leave about 6:30 to the remote villages where the team will be doing a conference for teachers and admnistrators as well as some physical work on the schools . . .


Your Kingdom come, Your will be done!

5 comments:

Jade said...

I am SO excited for your picture updates :)

Tricia said...

Praying for you and your success on this trip. His will be done! Amen

Susan Klaus said...

Awesome! Glad you were able to make it to all the flights. Thanks for sharing the pics too. The train pic reminds me of the night train Tim and I took in Egypt - Cairo to Aswan. The busy street pic is neat too. When you get to Thailand, you should take a Took-took. You might see your life pass in front of your eyes, but it's an experience you really can't have anywhere else. I love the rice field pic! Excited to hear more as you go along!

Anonymous said...

Cool!!! I'm praying for you. His kingdom come!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud! and excited! His will be done.

Denise