Monday, December 3, 2007

Guest Blog - Audie Lawley

This week as I'm away listening to God, I've asked several of our staff and elders to be guest bloggers. We start today with our awesome Children's/Creativity Pastor Audie Lawley.

Last week as i was pondering a question for the nametags....i was reading and rereading the paragraph about the shepherds on the night of Jesus' birth when a thought crossed my mind...How far where the shepherds from Bethlehem?
I knew the NIV says nearby and i then thought how cool it was, that not only where they 'nearby' physically, but they also must have been 'nearby' spiritually, because it was an immediate response they made... somehow they had to have had hearts that where primed to receive the news of the birth of Christ, because it says they ran, not walked or thought about it they said let's go and then took off and then 'told everyone' in ways that amazed people after seeing Him....
And what was it that so impressed them when they arrived and say just a tiny newborn wrapped in dirty stable rags, and two young dirty tired parents who had just had a baby. What was so amazing about that scene, that would cause these shepherds to leave that stable unable to even contain the wonder of what they had seen? What did they see that actually affirmed the message of the angel...that this little baby was the Savior that they had been waiting all their lives for?
So it made me think again.....what a weird conversation that must have been between Mary & Joseph & the shepherds.


M & J resting, or trying to in a nasty stinky stable with their little fella and then some shepherds come running in wanting to know if he was the promised Savior, is this the Messiah. Then taking a look and seeing how it really was just a little itty bitty baby....i'm sure then M& J told their story and it amazed the shepherds and affirmed the angels message and of course we know it affirmed for Mary what her heart all ready knew...her son was indeed going to Rock this World!
So it made me think again...how close am I to bethlehem or even how far am i from bethlehem? am i like the shepherds who are ready to to receive an unexpected and strangely delivered message from God? would i drop everything and run towards that message or would I drop everything and run away? the honest answer is I don't really know!

I hope if while I was dragging my nasty green trash can to the street tonight, you know just doing a normal chore in my normal life, and an angel came and said I got some news your gonna wanna hear and i got a place your gonna wanna go check out, cuz there is something you need to see....that i would take off running to the message. So....in my normal every day life, i need to be prepared to hear such a message, by staying in His word, by seeking His will, by doing all i can to draw nearer to Him so that I am ever ready to run when asked!

1 comment:

Nathan Lindell said...

Very insightful, Audie.

So how far away were they I wonder?