Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Foreign Country?

Like most Saturday nights as I'm going to bed, I'm excited about what God is going to do tomorrow and wonder about the folks who will come - maybe for the first time - seeking something, seeking change in their life, seeking hope.

And I wonder what will someone who lives completely outside 'church culture' think about when they come to Oso Creek? Will it be weird or inviting? Confusing or comforting?

Tim Stevens has a great blog on this subject after going to a India and then wondering if people who come to our churches feel like their going to a foreign country. Click here to read it.

Do you remember what it was like for you when you first showed up at church? If so, please hit 'comment' and share those feelings and how people's response to you affected those feelings? If it's been so long that you don't remember, then you probably really need to go back and read Tim Steven's post again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From the first time I attended FOC, I felt right at home. Up until that point, I had attended a Catholic church. I had very little experience of Protestant churches and was unsure what to expect. To my relief, it was as if God had prepared a place for me there. I felt like everyone had been waiting to welcome me in. I am glad you wrote about this because it reminds me to extend the same warm welcome to other visitors.