Saturday, December 15, 2007

Boys and Guns

I've had a great Saturday -- met with the Lion Chasing men this morning . . . had a good but tough run in the 100mph wind . . . and then Bo Kratz took Luke and I out shooting guns this afternoon.

Luke had been wanting to shoot my guns (sorry, it's a boy thing if you don't understand) and we had a great time just plinkin' at bottles and cans and telling stories (I can't say for sure if any of the stories Bo told were true :)

While we were out there I was thinking about, as I do often, my 13-year old boy and how quickly he's growing up. I also thought about how young boys are in some ways like guns. Guns can be used in positive and productive ways when they're properly cared for, but when they're not handled with wisdom and discernment they can be equally dangerous.

How our young boys need us. How they need our time, our wisdom and our care. And how if we don't supply those needs, they'll be met somewhere. And 'somewhere' may not know how to handle guns (or boys). And we already see so many young lives that are dangerous.

This is a battle I refuse to lose. I'm gonna fight for that boy. How about you? How are you fighting for your boy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fighting for my boy! Through prayer--he's just a little guy and I know not what his future holds so I pray for it, for the uncertainties, for my inadequacies and for so much more.

Anonymous said...

Everyday I win some of those battles and lose some of those battles, but I am determined to never take a break. I'll tell you how I fight. I get up early in the morning and hope that when I put my head down at night I'll be exhausted. I hope that my boys see a man who loves God and his family and will always put those things first above everything else the world offers. And I pray...I pray that God will draw my boys close to Him despite my failures and shortcomings, despite my sin. I pray that men and women of character will surround them and push them towards God. The fight for our lives is real and I've seen more than ever lately that the battleground is in the daily decision to trust fully in God, to have authentic dependence on Him and Him alone. May we trust fully that God will deliver us and tap into that amazing power He offers.

It's early in the morning and I'm trying to enjoy my vacation in the promised land (Canton, OH)! You've got me all fired up Bradshaw!

John Bradshaw said...

Way to get fired up Beau! Keep trusting, keep fighting! Way to go!