Friday, February 6, 2009

The Last 10%

As I talked about on Sunday, we cannot grow as a follower of Jesus and remain isolated from others.

We ALL need to draw nearer to others in our life who will help us to draw nearer to Jesus. As we do so - we break through different barriers of vulnerability.

If we are intentional we quickly move past what I call the weather/sports mode (OK, probably be different subjects for some of you - but same idea) . . . where it's just all surface. And we begin to move into authenticity.

As we make these breaks into deeper authenticity there is a barrier that Bill Hybels calls: The Last 10%.

Have you ever gone away from a conversation thinking, 'Man, I wish I had just had the courage to say _____________!' That's the last 10%.

It refers to whatever it is that you're holding back in the conversation. What is it that you need to share but you're afraid to? It may be something we need to confess or an area where we need to ask for help. Or it may be that last 10% of encouragement or truth that we need to speak to the other person.

Paul spoke about the last 10%: "Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ." Ephes. 4:15

The truth in love. I know. I've had people tell me that last 10%. The part that no one else had the courage to challenge me with.
When we share the last 10% we not only take our relationship to new levels --- but it also leads us into deeper places of knowing God!

Don't hold it back . . . Let go of the last 10%!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Yes! This is what I have been calling "level 4" conversation for the longest time. Level 4 is the stuff the REALLY matters! ~ana

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement Brother. I feel myself holding back. I want to give my all. Lord help me to live like today is my last!

John Bradshaw said...

Amen Todd! And you're welcome!