Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today marks the beginning of Lent. Ash Wednesday is a day of repentance. I think it's an awesome reminder of the repentant heart that we continuously need.

The act of putting ashes on your forehead echoes the ancient biblical tradition of dressing in sackcloth and ashes as a sign of repentance to God.
When the Priest places the ashes on the worshipper he says: "Remember, Man is dust, and unto dust you shall return."

Ash Wednesday begins this entire lenten season of repentance and reflection to help prepare for Easter and the coming of Christ.

I need those reminders in my life. How we must continually seek that replacement of the old with the new in our souls. That's what we're seeking to do with 60/60 . . . Asking God, 'What is it that you desire to replace in my life?' 'What's your heart for me?' 'How can I follow You?'

I've never been to an Ash Wednesday service but I'm planning on going to one today. Any suggestions? I'll let you know how it goes. . .

How are you replacing the old with the new today?

No comments: