Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Doggonit

OK, I have a confession to make. I haven't posted again about our new dog that we were trying to name because I didn't want to be named 2008 Bad Dad of the Year. I was feeling sad and a little ashamed.

Here's the story. We had the awesome little dog for one night and Laura and I woke up the next morning and couldn't breath and had noses running full bore. We both have asthma and allergies, although mine have been under control for quite some time. I knew I was allergic to cats but wasn't aware of what dogs could do to me.

As Cindy started looking the next day, our little dog was a Jack Russell Terrier and she found out that they are one of the worst kinds for allergies because of their continual shedding. (Go figure, intuitively it would have made sense to me for short haired dogs to be better for allergies . . . but no, they actually shed more - and ours was a smooth coat which sheds the very most.)

So Cindy & I felt terrible, but yesterday we had to take our little just named ('Dash' had won) doggy back to Pee Wees Animal Shelter. O' man did that stink. He had slept with Luke and Luke loved it. But all the kids were great sports and understood.

Now the good news is that Pee Wee's had a cute Westie (West Highland White Terrier). Westies are one of the best dogs for allergies and we took her! (She even came named - Abby)

This is her although I was having a hard time taking a good pic as she isn't feeling too good - long day as she not only got a new home but got 'fixed' at the vet today :(

So we are thankful . . . and now I feel confessed up.
And if you need a last minute Christmas present, Pee Wees has a great little Jack Russell Terrier.

No comments: