Thursday, October 9, 2008

For Young Men Only

I'm blessed that Multnomah is sending me new books (for free!) and letting me do these reviews!

This week I read: For Young Men Only - A guys guide to the alien gender (in the series by Jeff & Shaunti - some of you may have read For Men Only or For Women Only).

The point of FYMO is to try to help young men understand the heart and thought process of young women. My first thought was: 'Yeah right! Then we'll teach them how to walk on water!'

But since I have a 14-year old son, I thought what the heck, I can't figure it out so maybe they'll give me something to tell Luke :)

I'll start by saying this about FYMO - it's very honest and direct. They say from the beginning that it's not just written to Christians, and not just God ideas, but based on actual feedback from young ladies.

With that said I would say to parents (that's YOU dads!): Read it yourself first. There is some great info for young men that could start awesome conversations - but you need to determine: 1) What your approach to dating/the opposite sex is 2) Where your teen is in his emotional development & understanding.

Some of the chapter titles are: What Most Guys Never Know . . . Ambercrombie Boy vs. Our Hero, Average Joe . . . Why Good Girls Like Bad Boys . . . What it Really Means to Score.

The overall theme of FYMO is awesome . . . That who we are on the inside is so much more important than what kind of front we put on . . . and giving ourselves away in a relationship is so much important than what we get out of it.

We need all the help we can get Dads! And if you've got a hormone flowing teenage boy (or one nearly there) this can be a great part of your arsenal. If you want to buy it . . . Click here.

And if you want it, but don't want to buy it . . . I've got 2 FREE copies to give away. Here's the deal . . . the first two DAD's to respond to my post (not your wife doing it for you!) and tell me they want a copy, get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take a copy, even though my son is only three! If you deem someone else needs it more than me right now, I'll concede the book to them!

Nathan L.

Anonymous said...

I would love a copy to let my brother-in-law read (college student at U of A) and then use it for my boys when they get older. If a creeker needs it more, please give it to them, though. If no one else needs it, we will pay the shipping since we are not in Corpus.

Zach Wojtek

John Bradshaw said...

Alright Nathan & Zach --- you got you some books!
Zach, send my your adddress . . .