Friday, March 28, 2008

Who Are They Really?

This morning I picked up the Local section of the Caller Times and saw the picture of a man indicted on a manslaughter charge. Wow, does he look like a criminal. The picture (probably his police mug) looks like he just got off a 3-day heroin trip and had the capacity to kill 10 people in cold blood.

I've noticed recently in the paper and on the news (especially since the Overtons and Chris Warnock indictments and trials . . . people I know) that they make an effort to put the very worst 'picture spin' on folks who are accused.

I ask myself now when I see those pictures: Does that picture really reflect who they are? Is that how their Mom sees them? Is that the person that God sees?

Don't we do the same thing so much of the time? We look at people through the very worst possible lens in order to justify our biases or jealously or immaturity. The Truth is they are just like us. No more valuable, no less valuable.

Man, if I - if we - could get people out of boxes and love them right where they are. We can . . . if we just remember that God loved us anyway.

No comments: