Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Amazing Handy Man!

I am not a plumber, nor the son of a plumber. For that matter I am not a handyman, nor the son of a handyman . . . not even close! (Sorry Dad, but you were a great coach!)

So, this plumbing job a couple of weeks ago now was one of the greatest accomplishments of my adult life. My children were amazed . . . my wife wept.

The waiting time for most handyman jobs around my house is 27 months. Most of that time is spent praying (that it will go away), planning, and (mostly) procrastinating.
This is primarily because if the guy at Lowes tell me it will take one hour, I can usually multiply that by 6.5 and then figure another trip to Lowes for every hour of time (which then doubles the 6.5).

I took a picture of this leaky faucet to Plumbers Warehouse. They gave me the part and told me exactly how to do it. I was skeptical, and scared. This was going to require turning off the water to the house, which just sounds like bad things could happen.

I finished the whole stinkin' job in one hour! And that includes turning on and off the water to the entire house! (Which actually gave me a prideful plumberish feeling as one of the neighbors saw me with that big tool cutting off the water and asked me what I was doing. I did my best Bob Vila and said, 'Aw nothin, just a little plumbin'. I think they were impressed.)

If only they were all this easy . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cracked up reading this the whole time because I am well aware of your handyman skills (or lack thereof)! They are truly on par with my own.

Congrats on the plumbing job. Now I know who to call when I need help with something!

Nathan L.