Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm Different From My Dog

Surprised?

And it's not just that her hair is black and mine is brown. Or that she is a her and I am a him. Or that she lives in the backyard and I've got a room inside. . . .

But you see every time we get a thunderstorm or a big wind, or some other meteorological change, she goes crazy. I've told you in worship about how she goes nuts when it thunders and lightnings. She runs up and down the fence barking and jumping and making a complete fool of herself.

As I was watching her today when a thunderstorm rolled in (and yes, this was her today), I was struck that she always has been and always is in awe of the wonders of God.
Now, I'm not trying to say that she thinks about God a lot (but she COULD . . . after all she does have a lot of free time!) - but just that her sense of amazement never ends. Barking at a thunderstorm never gets old . . . or embarrassing.

This is one way I wish that Georgia and I were NOT different. It seems like I miss most of the wonders of God in this world - just hurry right by them . . . and I'm always pretty careful not to make a fool of myself.

Yet that's not really what I want. I want to always be in awe of God's presence and power. I want to feel free to make a fool of myself when God shows up.

How about you?

No comments: