Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Hurting and Needy

This morning I took my daughter Sarah and a friend to visit another of their friends in the hospital. Every time I'm in that situation it reminds me so powerfully of God's heart for the broken and hurting.

I'm convinced that ALL of us who are Christ followers should intentionally - and regularly - put ourselves in situations where we are confronted with the hurting and needy. It takes us out of our little bubble and reminds us of the needs all around us. It draws us back to the mercy of God and what it means to follow Him.

"I want you to share your food with the hungry and to welcome poor wanderers into your homes. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help." (Isaiah 58:7)

"And wherever [Jesus] went--into villages, towns or countryside--they placed the sick in the marketplaces. They begged him to let them touch even the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed." (Mark 6:56)

No comments: