Thursday, December 31, 2009

Honestly . . . A New Year

I stand amazed.

I'm the pastor of a great, loving expression of the church. A husband of 23 years to a faithful, gracious wife. A father of 4 teenagers who all follow Jesus and have made great decisions (for the most part :)

And yet I have a confession to make. For the last week I've been a grumpy old man.

It all started on our trip back home from Lubbock . . . . . and yet all of that is not really relevant. What is relevant is the condition that I find my heart in (just trying to be honest here) and a seeming inability to do anything about it. Ever find yourself there? Locked in a struggle with your own soul? Yes, we all have.

Those Psalm 32 moments (see vs. 3-5).

And I find myself knowing that it is in these moments that we choose. Is God really able to change me? Is He really in control of this planet and able to bring peace and joy to me?

In just a few minutes I go to the building to be with a bunch of sweaty students for the next 6 hours. How will I choose to respond to them? What will I choose to believe about them? About God?

Here's where I'm going . . . I'm reminded today - and thankful (even in the midst of not quite yet turning the corner) that God is a God of New Beginnings. A new sunrise every 24. New opportunities. New bursts of forgiveness. A New Year.

So, wherever you are now, or you've been this year - hear what the psalmist says as he continues in verses 6 & 7 . . . I'm trusting in His promises:

"Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you

while you may be found;

surely when the mighty waters rise,

they will not reach him.

You are my hiding place;

you will protect me from trouble

and surround me with songs of deliverance."

No comments: