Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What Are You 'Showing Off'?

It's been a busy couple of weeks, packed with some good things, and packed with some things that can be a distraction from the great things. I battle just like you with making my life count for eternity . . . and I tell you this just to try to stay real.
Below is a journal entry I made a couple of months ago that I was reading again this morning and reflecting on. I thought that it might speak to some of you:


It seems like being sick - as I've been over the past week - always lends itself to contemplation. I don't know if it's the reality of wrestling with my mortality, the drugs that mess with my head (and make me feel tingly), or just the insecurity in not being able to 'do something.'

It's seems like recently as I've skidded towards my mid 40's I've dealt with this general malaise of being at (or beyond) the half way point of life . . . not necessarily the Billy Crystal kind from City Slickers of feeling the need to use Grecian Formula or buy a red Vette . . . But more of a spiritual discomfort.

This statement by Jesus jumped off the page at me today as I've been reading through Matthew and sent chills of reality up my soul: Matthew 10:32-33 "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."

As I reflect on my own heart condition, my continual stirring is a great desire to glorify God - to 'show Him off' in every circumstance and moment. And yet it's so easy to live and breathe for self. What am I 'showing off' before people? Me? My strength & wisdom? My hard work and busyness?

O' how I want the next years - and remaining years - to count for the Kingdom of God! Help me God to resist the pull of the distractions of this world and the panderings of self that lead to isolation and darkness . . . and help me be firmly planted in the Vine and in the power of Your Spirit's control!


I pray that all of us would fight . . . that we would fight to 'show off' God to the world and for every moment of our lives to count for eternity!

1 comment:

Greg Richmond said...

Amen,

Praise God and thank you for being open, vulnerable, and a man after God's Heart! We are praying for you - and excited to be on God's journey with you. Don't worry about showing off - just remember the beating you took at corn hole during the Warrior Weekend. :)

Much Love,

-Greg