Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Creation Care - Part II

Re*cy*cle [ree-sahy-kuhl] - to treat or process (used or waste materials) so as to make suitable for reuse.

As I said on Sunday, in the past I've been a
recycler only when it's very convenient, or there's a lot of peer pressure (like my neighbors seeing that I never put my green bin out :)

I'm rethinking how a lot of my small efforts will go a long ways in caring for God's creation. I think for many years the evangelical church has disconnected following Jesus and blessing our society. But again, it's not just that - it's worship to care for what God has given us.

I mentioned Sunday that there are over 130 million cell phones retired every stinking year!! I'm also told that can also "potentially create 65,000 tons of dangerous electronics waste.”

So why needlessly waste? There are recylcers on the internet that will give you cash for your old phone. I plugged in my year-old Samsung in the website today and they would give me $13.78 - and they would pay the postage!

What if . . . someone at Oso Creek took on collecting old cell phones - wherever they could be found - and made it a ministry. Collected them and sent them in and then the resources were used to feed the poor or build water wells or pour into an under resourced nation.

That's just one example -- but as we recycle we're not JUST good neighbors - but if we're creative we can find ways to create inroads to the Kingdom of God coming to earth!

[These are the new signs that will go out by the recycle bins at Oso Creek!]

No comments: