Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Get Out of the Rut!

In this post I'm going to continue to expand on what I talked about Sunday (and in my post on Monday) in receiving, nurturing and living out God's Truth.

Remember I also said Sunday that Vision with Action is Hallucination! We can say that we want to soak in God's Truth but if we don't move towards that we're just dreamin'!

Earlier today in my basketball post I expressed a principal that when you get in a rut, you can't just stay there, but you've got to do something new! I mean you can just stay there, but ruts just lead to more ruts. You've gotta figure out, how to get out!

If you have really struggled in the past in soaking in God's Word, then try something completely new.
Maybe you need to try taking smaller bites. That's what we've provided with the Creek Living Water passages each day. Just a couple of verses to dwell on through the day.

Maybe you need to try a completely different reading plan where you're reading all the way through the Bible in a year (like w/the Daily Walk Bibles we have).

Or maybe you need to just take one book and spend a month reading it over and over - going deeper and deeper with each pass.

And here's a big one for a lot of you - you keep trying to do it on your own. Find somebody to read with you. Both of you read the same book or passages all week and then get together for breakfast (or whatever) one day a week and talk about it. Talk about what God is showing you.

Maybe instead of trying to read it in the living room, you need to go outside on the porch. Or instead of reading the old King James, you need to get you an NLT or NIV.

The point is that the same exact thing doesn't work for all of us. Find what works for you.

Now, help all of us. What have you learned works for you? What hasn't? Please let us know, you never know who you might encourage?

This is too important to your life to NOT figure out. I don't know about you but I don't want to spend 2008 hallucinating . . . but chasing the vision of MUCH fruit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard people say, "You need to read it first thing in the morning." Or the same time each day. I resisted this because I wanted to avoid religiousity and would read it at different times. But by nature, doing it this way, the cares of this world can get in the way more often.
For me, the first thing is to pray and sincerely cry out that God would give me a hunger for the word, the bread of life. When this happens it is sincere reading and the Holy Spirit opens my eyes to His truth...I can't get enough! God's word is living! And by His Holy Spirit, it has the power to transform me daily. I'm a morning person, so I love getting up before everyone else to be alone with God and discover more in His word. Consistency helps...it doesn't really matter when I read it but reading it each day during a time I know I'm not going to be interuppted helps me. And seeking, seeking, seeking Him...knock, knock, knock and the door will be opened...I just don't give up chasing God, He is faithful and promises to reveal and to open the door.