Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Basketball . . . and Growing Up

I haven't talked much about my basketball team at YCA of late, but a couple of things have stood out lately.

We kind of went into a funk during the holidays, and then right after. Coaching a sport gets much tougher as the season wears on - practice can get monotonous, nerves can get fragile (especially mine!).

And then early last week I starting really loosening up practice and having fun . . . and then I put in a new offense that is much more free and open (think NBA) than the offense we were running. And the kids responded awesomely. Last week we pounded two teams . . . and I must note that my Luke set his personal best by scoring 24 points in one game we won 40-23!

The principal here is, when you get in a rut, try something new! (More later in another post.)

The second thing, and the thing I was most proud of was at practice yesterday. I was running behind and got there 15 minutes late. But instead of just goofing off, a couple of the older players had organized everyone, gone through their warmups, and were doing some drills . . . all on their own!!! I was so proud of them. I didn't do anything but sit and watch for about 15 more minutes and let them do it!

It's awesome to see growth in young lives! (Or, old lives for that matter!)

No comments: