Friday, September 21, 2007

Christ in you, the Hope of Glory - Pt 5

"Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Glory! That's one of your grandparent's religion words, huh. Especially when we say: 'Gaaaaalawary!'

It's one of those words that unfortunately we have covered with some dirt.

Excavation: In my sermon Sunday, I talked about the Israelites fumbling the Ark to the Philistines (And the Ark was the place of God's manifest presence in Israel - see 1 Samuel 4 for the story).
And how in that misery the daughter-in-law of Eli (the priest) named her child Ichabod.
'Kabod' in Hebrew meant glory. 'Ichabod' meant 'no glory.' Zip. Zero.

God's 'kabod' was what was in store for you when you experienced His very presence. (see Exodus 24:16 or 33:22; or we even sometimes say about someone: 'I saw him in all his glory.')
Ichabod's mom was saying that the manifest presence of God - and all that implies - is gone.

BUT HE is here! In you! You see it's not like as followers of Christ that you get this little 'A' battery of God inserted into your soul - just enough to keep you going. His 'GLORY' - and EVERYTHING that goes with it IS LIVING inside of you man!!
Kind of brings a new meaning to the kid song: 'This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine . . ." That's a stinkin' 50 mile lighthouse spotlight, not a pretty little Martha Stewart candle!

And just like the 'glory' of God is unfathomable for our finite selves - the ways in which He can come alive in you is unfathomable!

What are you gonna do with that? The GLORY of God. Christ in you. In you!

4 comments:

Nathan Lindell said...

That's a stinkin' 50 mile lighthouse spotlight, not a pretty little Martha Stewart candle!


HAAAAA....I actually laughed out loud! great post.

Kim said...

"Bring all who claim me as their God,for I have made them for my glory. It was I who created them."
Isaiah 43:7 Made for His glory, Christ in you, the hope of glory! How incredible, how awesome. We can be a beacon in a lost world. I was made for His glory and then I have Jesus in me...His hope...His glory! May our "lives be lived out with this hope in such a way as to reflect Him, to show the world the character of God-His love, His peace, His mercy, His gentleness, to live for Him, to accomplish His will" Let us live not simply exist!

John Bradshaw said...

Amen Kim! Made for His glory and filled with His glory! Let's be overflowing with His glory!

Kim said...

So, I was digging like I tend to do and just had to share! Christ in you -the hope of glory. I was looking up glory and wow, "Giving glory to God is ascribing to Him His full recognition. The true glory of man, on the other hand, is the ideal condition in which God created man. This condition was lost in the fall and is recovered through Christ and exists as a real fact in the divine mind. The believer waits for this complete restoration. The glory of God is what He is essentially; the glory of created things including man is what they are meant by God to be..."
Christ in you-the hope of glory is such an incredible promise, to be restored as God meant us to be through Christ who lives in us. I stand in awe of Him!