Monday, August 9, 2010

Moses Moments

As I began my sabbatical this Summer I was asking God lots of questions.

Questions about my life, my family as we enter a new season, about Oso Creek. And a few weeks in I realized that I was looking for a Moses moment.
You know the moment in the middle of the Midian Desert where God miraculously appeared and spoke out loud to Moses from the midst of a burning bush: 'Moses! Moses!'

Man, I wanted one of those - I didn't really care if I was awake or asleep or whatever. ["John, John" -- hear voice of Morgan Freeman -- "You are my servant . . . "] I just needed a spiritual Red Bull moment or two and I'd be good to go!

I wasn't really thinking though. Moses spent 40-years in that wilderness before the whole bush thing happened. . . . . .

God reminded me this Summer that He much more often works in the midst of a whisper than the slam of the thunder. It's in the daily habit of clearing out space for Him, that He becomes present.

I spent one week at Lebh Shomea - a Catholic Prayer Retreat near Sarita. It's silent - no talking there. Challenging (very!), but fruitful (very!). It's hard for me to hear whispers when I'm talking and everything around me is 'talking.'

God reminded me this Summer that He still speaks, when I'm willing to listen for the whispers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to share some of those whispers!

Pam Teel