Friday, April 16, 2010

Moving

The below blog was on Leadership Freak and was a Guest blog by Katy Tynan who wrote the book Surviving Your Promotion.

The blog was entitled: Waiting Never Gets The Job Done

Thought there was some good insight here . . . especially for everyone over 14!


Have you ever been to a teambuilding camp? One of those retreats where corporations send groups of people to fast track their ability to work together cohesively? I used to facilitate at one of these programs, and I want to share a stunning observation.

On the first week of the month we ran a kids program. Students in 6th-8th grade would come and work their way through the challenge course as part of their retreat. On the second week of the month we would host corporate clients – adults – for one or two day seminars.

Time and time again as I facilitated these sessions I observed that it took the adults more than twice as long to get through each challenge.

Why?

Why would the people with more life experience, and more physical size/strength take so much longer to find a solution to these puzzles? After all, we didn’t provide any additional information or tools to the kids!

The answer is frighteningly simple. In the first 15 minutes the kids tried at least 3 different things. Most of their early efforts failed but they learned from each one and moved on quickly.

The adults spent the first 15 minutes walking around, talking to one another, and considering whether to offer an opinion or whether someone else might have a better idea.

When faced with a challenge, act. Make mistakes, learn from them and move on.

Waiting never gets the job done.

1 comment:

Susan Klaus said...

Wow, this totally speaks into my life right now as I am stepping out in faith in an area of my life. I felt my spirit stir about a month ago and been praying through how God wants me to respond. Part of it was that I wanted to make sure that it was indeed God and was waiting for confirmation. Over this past weekend, he has given me several. Stepping out into action can be somewhat unnerving, but I would never want to miss out on God's plan. It's way cooler than what I can come up with! I might fumble through a bit of it, but I would rather fumble in God's plan than to get it "right" in my comfort zone.