Friday, April 23, 2010

4 Friends

"Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. 2Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."

3At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, "This fellow is blaspheming!"

4Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5Which is easier: to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? 6But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." Then he said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your mat and go home." 7And the man got up and went home. 8When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men." (Matt 9:1-8)



As I read this morning it struck me that this paralytic must have been a great friend. The entire story happens because this guy has 4 friends (Mark 2 tells us '4'). Mark 2 also tells us that they the friends braved the ridicule of the crowd and an impossible situation to lower their friend through the roof!

This guy was paralyzed. No way to help himself. But there were 4 guys who did what he couldn't do.

Not many of us will find ourselves physically paralyzed in this life, but many of us find ourselves emotionally or spiritually paralyzed at times. I do. It makes me wonder, do I have four friends who I've been a friend to?

Do you have 2 friends who are willing to do for you what you can't do for yourself?

In order to grow in this Christian life we must live in authentic community. Period. But to have friends, we must be a friend.

Who are you carrying? Whose gonna carry you?

1 comment:

Greg Richmond said...

As we say in the Marine Corps - "He's not heavy, He's my brother!"

I've been carried, and I want (or at least pray for the strength) to carry those in need who God puts in my path!