Saturday, April 17, 2010

In Step

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:25

The Rabbi is moving down the street right now . . . There He goes. There He is over there. Are you keeping in step today?

I love what I was reading recently that Francis Chan said in Forgotten God:

"I think a lot of us need to forget about God's will for my life. God cares more about our response to His Spirit's leading today, in this moment, than about what we intend to do next year. . . . It's easy to use the phrase 'God's will for my life' as an excuse for inaction or even disobedience. It's much less demanding to think about God's will for your future than to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day."

Are you getting dirtier today in the Rabbi's dust?

3 comments:

Greg Richmond said...

I like the train of thought to prevent inaction - but I think you need both.

My wife did divine design at Oso Creek 10 years ago and got a sense of her gifting and was inspiried to dream about nursing school which was impossible at the time. But the seed was planted, and here she is 10 years later (on God's timing) ready to graduate May 15th. I think you need both God's will for your life in the moment - AND in the future.

Susan Klaus said...

Greg I agree. Both is needed.

I see Chan's point too. I have not read this book, so it is hard to say in what context he is speaking. However, I know at times, I've been guilty of "waiting" too long. In reality, "waiting" was fear.

John Bradshaw said...

Thanks for the comments guys! Good thinking!
Chan's comments are in the context of continually listening to the Spirit and then actually following the Spirit.
In no way was he speaking against waiting for God's timing when that's His heart, but against the paralyis that many times keeps believers of out of God's best.

He also makes the observation that very few people in Scripture ever got their plan from God in advance. Like Abraham most of the time it was 'Go.' 'Now!' :)