Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spiritual Hunger

"And if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God." (Prov 2:3-5)

"If from there you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul." (Deut 4:29)

You know I confess, I give up way to quickly on God. Too much of the time I seek until it becomes inconvenient or frustrating. I only listen until I become distracted.

Mark Batterson said this recently in a blog: "Spiritual hunger is the key to spiritual maturity. When you lose that spiritual hunger you stop seeking, asking, and knocking. You stop growing."

I want to be hungrier. I want to sit and listen until I hear Him. And not just until I get the first insight, but until my mind and heart are full of His thoughts and ways.
I want to knock not just until the door is opened but until I've sat down at the kitchen table and consumed an entire meal with the King.

There is no substitute to hungering and thirsting for God.

No comments: