Tuesday, September 22, 2009

10*5*1

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise." (Prov 11:30)

A huge part of a life that is following God is to see the fruit of people around us giving their lives to Jesus. Transformation.

Jesus said it this way: "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

Some of us live in guilt or discouragement because we don't
see the fruit. In the words of a famous Bob Newhart skit: 'Stop it!'

Pray. Ask God to make you a 'seed thrower.' And then
look for where He is working and engage!

I've just re-started a discipline that I learned from a church planter a while back. It's called 10*5*1. It's about slowing down to engage people and souls.


Every week I make a new section in my notebook (like the pic) where I put 10, 5, and 1.

The idea is that EVERY WEEK I meet 10 New People. And I write down their names - expecting to see them again and expecting God Encounters.

EVERY WEEK I seek to have 5 deeper conversations with people. Finding out more about their lives. Asking questions about their family, their work . . . And I record what I've learned. Expecting God to use it.

And EVERY WEEK I seek to invite 1 person to move closer to Jesus. Maybe that's by praying for them. By sharing Scripture with them or inviting them to look at what the Bible says about something going on in their life. Maybe I invite them to Celebration, or invite them to put their faith in Jesus. And I write it down, expecting God to work in their life.

Simple 10*5*1
And it's not just about those #'s, it's about being intentional and expecting God to work (the very fact that I make a section for it in my journal at the beginning of the week says I EXPECT it to happen).
It's about looking into people's eyes for where God is working and joining Him!

No comments: