Monday, September 7, 2009

Running with the King

I ran this morning and it was hot.

After I went to Vietnam in May, I fell off the running wagon for the first time in a couple of years. I've been getting back in the groove in the past 3 weeks and it's hard . . . and hot.

I noticed this morning that I'm doing more watching than running - watching my watch. Right now I'm in that mode where I'm constantly just grinding it out and waiting for it to be over. I'm really not enjoying the ride. It stinks. I wanna enjoy it again.

I was thinking about how the same can be true of my spiritual life when I'm just going through the motions, waiting for it to be over. Counting how many more pages of my Bible I have left to read. Watching the clock so I can be sure I get 15 minutes of prayer in. Checking off the small group box on Wednesday night or Thursday morning. That's no fun.

That's religion. And when I'm in that place I better get out fast. It's discouraging and defeating.

Jesus wants to have a relationship with us. One that's fulfilling and exciting. One where we want to be there with Him, not where we're constantly looking at our watch.

Let me encourage you - DON'T settle for looking at your watch! Reject that! It's dead. Jesus said that He came to make us alive! If you're in that place ask Him to give you life, to help you experience Him. It's His desire as well.

Wednesday morning when I run, I'm gonna try to not glance at my watch at all. Instead I'm gonna pray that I can enjoy spending the day with the King of Kings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ran this morning too...we should've gone as a team! I was kind of excited that I forgot my watch at home...allowed for a much more enjoyable (and slower...) experience!

Group run on Wednesday?...

-Beau