Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Hole in My Tooth

I lost part of a tooth yesterday. Yep, that one up there on the top right (It always helps to have a picture doesn't it :)

Doesn't hurt too much right now, just a gaping black hole where there used to be a dentin & enamel (googled that one :)

But what is really driving me crazy is that my tongue just keeps going there. Uncontrollably. I'll notice my tongue rolling over the (now) jagged edges and pull that sucker away ('Get out of there!')

But as soon as I'm not thinking about, there it goes again. I'm believing more what James said: ". . . no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil . . ." (James 3:8)

But kidding aside, it reminds me what happens when I allow dark gaping holes in my life. (Yes, God even gives spiritual lessons in teeth!) The writer of Proverbs said: 'Above all else guard your heart; for it is the wellspring of life!' (Prov 4:23)
Paul said 'take off the old self . . . put on the new self.' (Colossians 2)

I so kid myself, we all do, when we allow darkness that drags us down to remain in our lives! And we kid ourselves into thinking that our tongues (minds & hearts) won't go there. Huh? We will go there and roll around the rough edges. Our heart and mind will. They do. They're enticed by it, drawn to it.

Whether it's an attitude I have that stinks, or an addiction that's undealt with, a relationship that's unhealthy, or whatever --- when we allow it to remain, unchecked, it will (not maybe) draw us away from God and abundant life!

Hopefully my tooth is going to get fixed today (or tomorrow). I know that if I went very long like this, it would get ugly (and I'm not very pain tolerant).

But remember, 'You are a new creature in Christ! The old has passed away, the new has come!'

In Christ you are alive! We don't have to live with that junk! Get those teeth fixed!

No comments: