Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fuge Reflection

I preached a couple of weeks ago about how Jesus is ALIVE . . . and has made the way for us to live in the Light and not the darkness . . .



"For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." (Col 1:13-14)



And how we must 'resettle' our lives in the Kingdom of Light . . .



"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him . . . Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." (Col 2:6; 3:1-2)



At Student Camp last week I failed. Miserably.



I was tired (4-5 hrs of sleep a night - and yes, Cindy took this pic of me as I was dozing in the cafeteria), dirty/sweaty, in a wicked smelling room, way out of my element w/900 wired teens, and the food was . . . camp food . . . and did some permanent intestinal damage :)



But the point is that when I got out of my 'comfort zone' I began to get selfish and irritable. I started to focus on John and somehow recovering some of my desires and dignity.


And then God reminded me: 'It's NOT about YOU!'


That's always a bummer to hear.



I was reminded that I really know nothing about the suffering that Paul talked about in Colossians (1:24-27) and elsewhere . . . until I get out of that place of comfort and security and see what's inside. It wasn't good.



But now, I'm thankful that I had the opportunity. By Day 3 I had to agree, 'OK, God this isn't about me. It's about You and these students. Now you gotta help me!'



It didn't really make it a lot easier physically, but it helped me to retrain some of my focus on God in the midst of everything, and move maybe a little more towards Him -- and what it really means to deny myself and follow Him.



As I took my eyes off myself, it also gave me an opportunity to watch and see how God was moving in the student's lives . . . Wow!

And it makes me want to live more of my life in the Light . . .

Help me God to keep my heart - and my mind - on things above . . .

No comments: