Thursday, September 4, 2008

FIRST

In one of my last blogs on Tuesday (click here to see it) I talked about challenging people to give God their lives so that world will be changed "instead of trying to 'sell God' based on the benefits He offers."

I've been thinking about that post and a missing ingredient. I wonder how much of the time many of us feel like WE'RE missing out on experiencing 'God's Adventure'?

I know sometimes I feel like I missed the boat. And it's hard to invite someone on a trip when you're just gonna stand on shore and push them out to sea. But the Truth is, as a follower of Jesus we haven't missed it, we've only taken our eyes off God and been distracted by all the noise around us.

I'm reading Soul Revolution by John Burke (which I Highly recommend) and he says:

"I hear people complain all the time about not feeling close to God, not sure they can trust Him, not sure God cares. But they never committed to staying connected to God in their daily life, and when they do take time to communicate, the communication is all one-sided. Rather than doing life with God, it's all religious, formal, ritualistic meeting for them. I'm convinced God desires an unrehearsed, gut-level, rigorously honest conversation throughout the moments of the day."

As I was reading Matthew 6 this morning, what Jesus says to end the chapter that talks about many of the distractions in following God, hit me in a fresh way. This is the heart of finding the adventure:

"But seek FIRST His Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

No comments: