Thursday, June 26, 2008

Unplugging

I've been Unplugged all day . . . was an encouraging and insightful day as Mark Batterson and Jud Wyatt talked about 3 challenges of pastors . . . The Motivation Challenge, The Vision Challenge and the Personal Challenge.

Then we went down to the Mall and ate and played cornhole (if you don't know what cornhole is you can click here and check it out).

Even though I hate being away from my family (and the tourney ball game I'm missing tonight!), God's been reminding me why it's so important (NO absolutely stinkin' necessary!!) for me to get away to renew and recharge . . . If I'm going to continue to give away on a regular basis, there's got to be fresh water in the well. A couple of quick thoughts about why it's so important:

1) It Forces Me to Slow Down! - For me (like many of you), I rarely take my foot off the gas while I'm in my normal routine. Your car can only take only take 5,000 rpms for so long . . . your life can only take 5,000 rpms!
Getting away immediately releases about 70% of the rush (it usually takes several days for the other 30! :)

2) It Helps to Keep me fresh - Rhythms are great and we should fight for our spiritual rhythm - but rhythms over time can easily become ruts.

I've heard someone say that -- Change of Pace + Change of Place = Change of Perspective

How true it is, how different some things look when we just take a few steps back and take a deep breath. A new perspective - especially if you're in a rut - can change your whole life!
But that doesn't happen unless I plan for it to.

3) It Forces me to Think in New Ways - When I'm around other people I hear new ideas, I see how the creativity of God is working through others . . . in the setting I'm in now I even get to talk through stuff with other pastors. New streams of water run through my life! That's powerful!
Some of this I do through conferences like this; a lot of it I do through reading; and some through ongoing relationships with other pastors, business folks and other friends.


The bottom line is that I appreciate the opportunity to get away, and it's a win-win for all our relationships! What are your thoughts about getting away to renew and recharge?

No comments: