Friday, June 20, 2008

Slowly Transformed

As I said a couple of days ago in a post, I've been knowing that it's time to really listen to God's heart for the future, and yet it seems like the present is always here!

Then as I was reading Bob Robert's book Transformation yesterday (which I highly recommend!) this quote by Elise Bouding hit me between the eyes:

"If one is mentally out of breath all the the time from dealing with the present, there is no energy left for imagining the future."


I'm sure that I'm not the only one who finds themselves caught up in the urgency of the moment, when what is really at stake is the unseen depths of the future.

He went on to say this: "Faith is a long-term perspective toward others realizing a future reward. In contrast, fear is a short-term, me centered 'now' that gets it all now, but nothing for the future. . . . What happens fast is illusion; what happens slowly is reality."

What do you think? Are you living fast for the now, or patiently for the future?

2 comments:

Pam Teel said...

Oh, how I long to be not "living fast for the now", but that is, unfortunately, where I find myself most days!

John Bradshaw said...

I'll pray that you will not only long, but fight for that place.