Monday, February 8, 2010

Does this mean I'm just human or a full-on hypocrite?

Recently I read the following by Francis Chan that captured some of how I've been feeling the past few months:

I wonder if the inconsistency in my walk with God has anything to do with the fact that I can lead a . . . church in America without being in love with Jesus. I’m sure I could blame American church culture, my position, or a busy schedule for my lack of reverent intimacy. The truth, however, is that my sin and hypocrisy is a result of me. It’s not like I don’t want to.

In fact, when I’m deeply in prayer, it’s clear to me that there’s no place I’d rather be. I know that I love God. When I sit and think about Him, I’m filled with intense feelings of adoration. I’m convinced that He means more to me than my wife, kids, or anyone else on the planet. I just forget to love Him.


I'm aware that many (read, 'all') of us struggle with these same feelings. It just seems extra egregious since I'm a pastor. But it does no good to hide or pretend - from others or God.

As many of you know, I've been dwelling a lot on the Kingdom of God and what it means to really live in the Kingdom. As Paul said: 'The Kingdom of God is not about fancy talk, but living in God's power!' How much of the time do I use fancy talk (or 'pretend living') as a cheap saccarin substitute for living in God's power? Too much.

I spend too much of my life caring about what other people think. Too much time living under the inertia of life, without inhaling from the Holy Spirit. I know that the answer is Jesus. Jesus is Lord. And life in Him is abundant and powerful!

I am so tired of substitutes. I'm sick of how they suck life out of me. I'm ashamed of how they make God look weak and tired.

I'm tired of forgetting. I want to fully display His glory! Help me Jesus that I would learn more and more about seeking you first. And that you might increase . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Francis Chan!!! We are all human AND hypocrits..if it weren't so, we would have no need for Jesus. Thank God for His amazing grace. Your transparency is very admirable. I pray that we as a church can really let down our guards with one another and love one another in true humility. Love you brother in Christ!
~anna

patricia said...

I'm right there with you. These thoughts were with me today when I was encouraging my son-in-law to live each day like there is no tomorrow. Do I do that? Yet that is the "wise counsel" that rolls so freely off my tongue.
Lord, I humbly ask that today, I will live in your power and that others will truly see Jesus in me. Amen

Pat

Todd said...

Thank you for this!!! Tranparency is so freeing. Helps me to realize that I'm not alone in my struggles.

dawn said...

Transparency is a needed trait especially among lovers of Christ; it can attract those who need your transparency and repel those who are offended by it. It is the latter that may discourage us to be transparent and if we are aware of it reminds us that we still live in the Matrix, (a world that is controlled by self-image). Our efforts to escape the Matrix is met by resistance and can only be escaped by our daily communion with Christ.

Dawn