Thursday, May 8, 2008

Community Driven

"You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another." (Prov 27:17 Message)

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." (Jesus in John 17)

On Sunday I talked about the necessity of Community/Team if we are going to move further in this journey with Jesus. Us Before Me.

The Bible doesn't just talk about relationship, it IS relationship. It's the word(s) of God, through His Son, to us. And it's in relationship that we are transformed. Man, I know. I know what it's like to separate myself from others who push me further spiritually (and the emptiness I have) - and what it's like to be engaged with people encouraging me and to be encouraging others.

One of the passages that came to mind as I was thinking about it this week is the story of the rich young man (Matthew 19:16-25 - click and check it out). The point of that story is that this young dude chose his wealth/things over a relationship with God. And he was a good guy!
But any time we choose things/jobs/self/distractions over relationship with God and others - we immediately stifle our Christian life. Period.

Why do we emphasize so passionately everyone being in Life Groups? Because it is through those relationships where we are real with others about God, that we will grow in this Christian journey. And that's the whole point! That's the reason we exist as a church! We don't want you just to occupy space on Sunday, but to be a world changer for the Kingdom of God!

And sadly, when we allow anything to get in the way of being in life transforming relationships with others, then we're no different from this young guy.
Jesus told him to come back when he was willing to invest in eternal relationships instead of earthly stuff.

It's your move. Do you need to engage deeper in community? Or to draw someone else in with you?

No comments: