Friday, May 14, 2010

Missing God

I've often said that reading is my most powerful mentor. Reading is fresh life for me in so many ways.

I get a greater view of the world and how it works - I get fresh perspectives of God's Kingdom - I get out of my little world and into new places when I read.

Francis Chan has become one of my favorite writers and I recently finished an excellent book he wrote called The Forgotten God.

Chan is so honest and pointed about our need for the Holy Spirit. A couple of quotes early in Forgotten God . . .

'The church becomes irrelevant when it becomes purely a human creation. We are not all we were made to be when everything in our lives and churches can be explained apart from the work and presence of the Spirit of God." (intro)

"And this is the question I just can't get around: If it's true that the Spirit of God dwells in us and that our bodies are the Holy Spirit's temple, then shouldn't there be a huge difference between the person who has the Spirit of God living inside him or her and the person who does not?"

I could go on and on . . . Chan describes that Spirit empowered difference. And he describes how we live it out in a very honest, authentic way.

Get it. Read it.

No comments: