Friday, May 7, 2010

Is It the Miracle or the Men?

I wonder sometimes.

One morning this week I was reading in Matthew 20. Near the end of the chapter Jesus comes across these two blind guys sitting on the side of the road yelling for Him to have mercy on them. The crowd around them was embarrassed by them and told them to shut up.

Some of you know the story. Jesus stopped and asked them: 'What do you want me to do for you?' They answered: 'We wanna see!'
"Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him." Matt 20:34

It's a great story. I've used it to talk about how Jesus wants us to talk to Him about what we want. We're intrigued by the 'on the spot healing' and how Jesus 'touched' them to make it happen when He didn't have to.

As I was reading this morning I thought about how it's easy for us to get so caught up and giddy in the miracle itself, that it's easy to forget that it's about the people!
Jesus loved people, NOT processes. He wasn't there to impress anybody, but to show compassion to two men who everyone else had forgotten about.

It makes me wonder about me. What am I pursuing?
Are we more intrigued with the spectacular; or the details of faith. Or, with the people all around us who Jesus died for?

No comments: