Friday, May 14, 2010

Backwards or Forwards . . .

The Corpus Christi Coliseum debate (and now demolition) is running parallel to a lot of thoughts going on in my own life right now . . .

Two groups have been rallying around the Coliseum . . .

One trying to save the past. What I hear from them in the papers and on TV is how they love the memories of the past. Here's a quote from the Caller Times this morning:
[ ] attended dances, their daughter’s graduation and concerts in the building. They sat silently watching the crews from a bench across the street. Tears welled in his eyes when he talked about moments there. "We have a lot of memories,” he said. “They should have never destroyed it.”

The other group seeking to move into the future . . . They want to create space for new development downtown.

So here's what I'm getting at with life . . . . We can live in the past . . . Or, We can lean into the future.

Yes, we learn from the past but God has been showing me that we cannot afford to live in our past failures and mistakes and regrets. It will kill you! You've heard the term 'dead weight.' The past is dead, carrying it around will just weigh you down.

So I'm heading into the future. It's not worth it to stay in the past. The future has too many possibilities.


"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead . . ." (Philippians 3:13)

2 comments:

Jade said...

I am totally feeling that. Well said. Well thought. Forward motion :)

Greg Richmond said...

All about moving forward! I thank God He demoed my past and then forgot about it - He is moving forward in my life!