Thursday, November 5, 2009

Doing and Listening

I spent the last day and night in solitude at Lake Mathis. By myself at a cabin getting away from my pace of life and technology - and just trying to rest and listen to God.

I'm a doer. That's what I do. A lot of you can relate. I even amaze myself sometimes with how much I can 'do.' And then I look around and God is nowhere to be found. I left Him in my dust about 15 'things' ago.

That's why I desperately need time to slow down. (Even though I resist doing it!)
Change of Pace + Change of Place = Change of Perspective. I first heard this from Mark Batterson and it's so true. And powerful.

As I was resting and listening this morning, this tree was outside the big plate glass window. Not a wisp was in the air. I just sat and watched the tree for about 5 minutes - absolutely no movement - it was perfectly still.

Then a couple of branches just slightly danced in the breeze. Just barely. Then a few more leaves stirred for just few seconds. Then still again.
Normally, I would have never seen it. Never. I only saw it because I was still and watching.

And then God spoke (and no I didn't hear Him audibly, but in my spirit) : 'Be still and know that I am God.' You will never hear the whispers of my Spirit until you stop and watch and listen.

Doing for the Kingdom is good. But doing without listening is empty at best, and dangerous much of the time.

Maybe that listening is 15 minutes in the morning meditating on a verse. Or turning the radio off in the car, or the TV off at night. Or a walk around your neighborhood in the evening.

Whatever it looks like, we all need God's help to be still. Help us Lord to hear you in the depths of our being.

No comments: