Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How Wide is a 2x4?

OK, I'm 44 years old and I should have realized this before now. I'm not a carpenter, nor the son of a carpenter, but I've been around enough boards that I shouldn't be so ignorant. . . .

But did you know that a 2x4 isn't really 4 inches wide? It's actually only 3 1/2 inches wide! I was having to measure something to fit it in a space and when I went to Lowes to get a board I had this moment of extreme realization and disappointment. All my life I've said 2x4 and I should have been saying 2x3 1/2! We're getting ripped off people!!!

As I sent out the Creek Text this morning I chose 1 Peter 2:9: "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

The 2x4's made me think about: When we live out who we are as a church are we getting ripped off? Or, are we ripping others off when we pretend to be something but we're only 3 1/2 inches of it?

' . . . a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him . . .'

Are we about the Kingdom of God? Are we about declaring His praises so that His Kingdom will come and His will be done?

God help me. Help us to fully become what you have created us and designed us to be. Teach us, set us on fire, to be about your Kingdom!

2 comments:

Tray said...

hey john.....i'm gonna blow you away with this then.....a 2X4 is only 1 1/2" wide too.
Mexican lumber, on the other hand....is 2" X 4". There ya have it.

Anonymous said...

hey, me and husband, been , thnkin that somethins wrong for years, now the general public agrees in 2017, lawsuits, foreign companies, ect., ripping off entire nation, of buiders, and public, , for years, maybe longer, and , no one knew?, , husband says, in his dads time, a 2x4 was truly a 2x4, I believe it, , where is the lumber coming from anyway?